Nara was the first permanent capital of Japan from from 710 to 794. Nara is now the capital city of Nara Prefecture located in the Kansai region of Japan.
It remains full of historic treasures, including some of Japan's oldest and largest temples. Several historical sites have been registered on UNESCO’s World Heritage List as “Historical Monuments of Ancient Nara”.
Nara Park is located in the centre of Nara City. This beautiful green area is home to 4 world heritage sites of UNESCO, IRAKA – the conference venue, and 1200 wild deer, which roam freely around the park!
How to reach Nara
To reach Nara you should fly to Osaka. The international airport is Kansai International Airport (KIX), and the domestic airport is Osaka Itami Airport (ITM).
Please note that whilst there are some direct flights to Kansai International Airport but you may have to connect in either Narita (Tokyo International) or Seoul (Incheon Airport). The following airlines operate direct flights to Kansai: United (joint flights with ANA), Air Canada, and Delta from US/Canada; Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, and Fin Air (joint flight with BA) from Europe.
From Kansai International Airport
This shuttle bus stops at Nara hotel, JR Nara Station and Kintetsu Nara Station.Bus Stops:
- Terminal 1 – Bus stop 9
- Terminal 2 – Bus stop 5
- Reservations from KIX to Nara can not be made in advance and must be purchased at the airport
- Terminal 1, Bus stop 9, Ticket window A9 or B
- Terminal 2, Bus stop 5, Ticket window B5
- Reservations from Nara to KIX can be made up to one month in advance.
2) By Train to Nara Station
Time: approx. 30-45 minutes for the first train and then an additional 30 minutes for the second train
Fare: JPY 1710
For this journey you need to take 2 trains:
- Kansai International Airport station to Tennoji Station (using JR Airport Express HAKURA, 30 minutes OR Kansai Airport Rapid Service, 45 minutes)
- Tennoji Station to JR Nara Station (using JR Yamatoji line, 35 minutes)
3) By Shuttle Bus and Train to Kintetsu Nara Station
Time: shuttle bus approx. 50 minutes and train approx. 35 minutes
Fare: JPY 2110
Take a hustle bus from KIX to Kinetetsu Uehonmachi Station. The bus runs every 20-30 minutes and leaves from bus stop number 7. From Uehonmachi Station, using the Kintetsu Nara line the train to Kintestsu Nara station takes approx. 35 minutes. This train runs about every 15 minutes.
From Osaka Itami Airport (Domestic Only)
1) Shuttle Bus
Time: approx. 60 minutes
Fare: JPY 1480 (one way)
This shuttle bus stops at JR Nara Station and Kintetsu Nara Station.
- North Terminal – Bus stop 0
- South Terminal – Bus stop 10